Caregiver Visa to Canada | Apply to Work And Live in Canada

Caregiver Visa to Canada

Caregiver Visa to Canada – Live-in caregivers, who are qualified to provide care for children, the elderly, or people with disabilities in private homes without supervision, must meet certain requirements to be eligible for the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) in Canada. These requirements include:

1) A Positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) From an Employer in Canada

Before an employer can hire a caregiver he or she must:

  • Apply to Employment and Social Development Canada/Service Canada (ESDC/SC) to have his or her suggested job offer reviewed; and
  • Receive a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from the ESDC/SC

The ESDC/SC will assess the employer’s job offer and the employment contract to be sure that it meets certain requirements. This includes an assessment of wages, working conditions, provincial labor, and employment standards. The assessment must prove that there are not enough Canadians or permanent residents currently available to work as live-in caregivers in Canada. If the ESDC/SC finds the job offer acceptable, they will issue a positive LMIA to the employer.

2) A Written Contract From the Future Employer, Signed by the Employee and the Employer

The employee and the employer are both legally required to sign a written employment contract. The employee must submit the signed contract with a work permit application, which is the same employment contract submitted to the ESDC/SC by the employer. The only time they can be different is if there is a good reason, for example, a new start date.

3) A Successful Completion of the Equivalent of a Canadian Secondary School Education

The employee (caregiver) must have successfully completed the equivalence of Canadian High School education (secondary school). Because of the vast difference in schooling systems across Canada, it is not possible to give a precise number of years needed. However, in most provinces in Canada, it takes twelve years of schooling to obtain a Canadian high school diploma. The immigration officer assessing your application will let you know what is needed.

4) Work Experience as a Caregiver visa or Role in a Related Field or Occupation

You are required to have at least six months of training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or role in a related field or occupation. Six months of your work experience must be continuous employment with one employer. This experience must also have been acquired within the three years before the day on which the caregiver makes an application for the work permit as a caregiver.

5) Good Knowledge of English or French

Caregiver Visa to Canada – The caregiver must be able to speak, read and understand either English or French so that they can function on their own in the employers’ home. For example, the caregiver must be able to call emergency services if they are needed and understand the labels on medications because the caregiver will be unsupervised for most of the day.

6) Get a Work Permit Before You Enter Canada

To be on a live-in caregiver visa, you must make an application for an initial live-in caregiver work permit at a visa office outside of Canada. If the application is successful, you will receive a letter of introduction from the Canadian visa office responsible for the area in which you live. You will need to present this letter to the Border Services Officer upon arrival in Canada in order to obtain your work permit.

Do you want to come to Canada? At we make applying for your visa simple. By using our accredited Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) you will not only improve your chances of success in the visa application process, but you will get expert advice based on your specific needs. Our RCICs are highly qualified and are granted permission by the ICCRC to assist you with your eligibility evaluation, review all your documents and application forms, and submit them to the Canadian government for you. Why take the chance of having your application denied because your forms are incorrect or sent in too late? Let us take care of all the fine print while you plan your move to Canada.